Gold rich sulphides replacement ore and Gold-bearing quartz veins have been worked on Island Mountain since the 1870s. Island Mountain is located immediately northwest of Jack of Clubs Lake and just west of the town of Wells.
Island Mountain operated from 1934 to 1967, exploiting both quartz vein and replacement-style mineralization for a total reported production of 603,800 ounces of gold with and average grade of 0.45 ounces per tonne. The mine closed in 1966 due to low metal prices.
The Island Mountain Mine was developed on 11 levels to a lower elevation of 2,500 feet via an internal shaft. Further development of the mine to the northwest was limited due to the historic boundary with the Mosquito Creek claim group (now owned by BGM). A later owner developed extensions of the Island Mountain Mine into the Mosquito Creek claim group at a depth known as the Aurum Mine. Five levels, between elevations of 3,250 and 2,700 feet, with a strike length of over 1,000 feet, were developed between two prominent structures, the Burnett and Mosquito faults.
Drilling here targets both fine-grained pyrite replacement and quartz vein styles of gold mineralization in large unexploited areas in and around the past-producing gold mines on Island Mountain.
Island Mountain also hosts the Mosquito Creek Gold mine, a small historic mine located 750 feet above the upper workings of the Aurum Mine. The mine was developed by Mosquito Creek Gold Mines Ltd. and operated from 1980 to 1983 producing 23,000 oz of gold.
Underground development included a vertical shaft to a depth of 516 feet and levels at elevations of 4,400, 4,300, 4,200, and 4,100 feet. Following this early work by Mosquito Creek Gold Mines, a number of joint ventures saw additional underground development and exploration work carried out on the property.